Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Hope Again



Today, we regained a little of the dignity we lost a year ago.

Morsi has been taken away.




The whole world was hypnotized by the footage of the army taking control and handing temporary authority to the head of the constitutional court. A new government will be set up, there will be a temporary halt to the constitutional process, and early presidential elections will be held in an attempt to put this country back on track.

There is also an absolutely beautiful chance El Baradei might take on the role of Prime Minister.

Up until the last moment, the president threatened the blood of his own people to keep power despite the voices in the streets. He sent out his thugs - sorry, supporters - who everyone knew meant nothing but bloodshed in the name of support for him.

Now, the streets are so loud, celebrating the end of a horribly ineffective and oppressive regime in the name of religion. It was a governing power that was sending the country into an economic hole deeper than it already was. It was a government that considered new regulations that would take english out of the school curriculum, dropped the minimum age for marriage, and has been a constant source of embarrassment internationally.

The ousted president and his supporters call it a military coup, and they stand in weaponized groups proving to every other Egyptian that these people - willing to become "martyrs" for the Brotherhood - are nothing but violent thugs. They are ready to spill blood to keep control over a country that doesn't want them.

Whatever you call it - however you recognize it - it is a coup we have waited for. This elected president showed a knack for abusing power and fell through on all the promised he made since the beginning.  The obvious difference this time is military leader, Abdel Fattah El Sisi stood by representatives from almost every major group in the country. Al Azhar's Ahmed El Tayeb took the stand next and spoke of support, and Egypt's Coptic pope, Pope Tawadros II, followed closely.

I honestly didn't expect it, but I sat next to my husband and cried. I was overwhelmed. For the past year, I've looked into a future for my country that was dark, repressing and controlling. I imagined my life as it would have to be from then on: from a distance.

At this moment, I felt something different. I remembered the hope I felt at the beginning. I remembered what it felt like to be proud of my home, safe in my heritage, and hope in the future.

I know it is still such a delicate and risky road ahead. I also know Egypt will keep fighting. The people will not let their country go. They can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site theme © La Pitanga for Blogger by Miss Natureba All rights reserved